Sunday, November 22, 2009

Dark Days Challenge - Introduction

Not sure how I came across this challenge, but I know that I did so right in time!  I stumbled upon the blog(not so) Urban Hennery just last week, and liked the overall premise of the challenge, but also the feasibility.  Other challenges which involve eating only food within a 100 mile radius for one year or even one month are just too much for my lovely husband (and myself, I guess) to handle.  But one meal a week?  That's reasonable!

The details:

The challenge runs Nov 15, 2009 – Mar 31, 2010, hence the name "Dark Days".

I have to cook one meal each week focused on SOLE (sustainable, organic, local, ethical) ingredients and write about it here on my blog. 

Local, as defined in this challenge, is anything within a 150 mile radius of home.  Typical exceptions are oils, coffee, chocolate and spices. I have also decided that any staple which is currently already in my home will be able to be used.  As I run out of things, I will replace them with SOLE staples.  I just can't validate going on a hunt for local flour, when we already have quite a supply under our ownership.  In addition, in the first couple weeks, I will even use produce that is already in my home - since I did not find out about this challenge ahead of time and again, refuse to throw out a non-local pepper because my husband bought it at the grocery earlier in the week.

That's it for now.  For more info on the challenge, check out this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment