Friday, October 16, 2009

Fresh Friday


Fresh Friday
Originally uploaded by daftly smitten

CSA today was lots of greens, so we decided to just get 4 acorn squash. That way on Monday we can handle all the kale and chard & such when we don't get to pick.
So tonight I made this awesome soup... I want to site the recipe correctly so I will post an update with that info tomorrow. Goodnight!
Update:

so I found this fantastic Thai-Spiced Tomato Soup recipe on The Wednesday Chef -meaning that this is a post citing a recipe cited on another post. The original Gourmet magazine recipe can be found here (at least for now?). And so it goes...

Changes I made: I yet again had this carton of Thai broth needing to be used, so I substituted that for the suggested chicken stock, even though it was 32 oz vs. 24. I kept The Wednesday Chef's suggestion of omitting the cup of water, but excluded the salt since my broth wasn't specifically low-sodium. I also added the juice of a whole lime since I didn't have anything else to do with the other half and I figured it'd be tasty. I piled mine high with cilantro since I love it.

Thai-Spiced Tomato Soup
Serves 4-6

1
onion, chopped
3
tablespoons vegetable oil
2
tablespoons Thai Kitchen red curry paste
1/4
teaspoon ground cumin
1
(32-oz) carton Thai spiced broth (mine was Wegmans brand)
1 (28-oz) can crushed tomatoes
1
tablespoon packed brown sugar
Juice of 1 lime
A handful of cilantro leaves (optional)

1. Cook onion in oil in a 4- to 5-quart heavy pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 6 minutes. Add curry paste and cumin and cook, stirring, 2 minutes.

2. Add broth, tomatoes, brown sugar and simmer 15 minutes.

3. Purée soup with an immersion blender (use caution when blending hot liquids). Stir in the lime juice and serve, garnishing with cilantro, if using.

Another twist: before I re-heated a bowl full of this yesterday I added a bunch of chopped kale and broccoli leaves (because we're swimming in greens) and it turned out to be quite tasty. Dave added chopped mushrooms to his.

No comments:

Post a Comment