Monday, January 11, 2010

Dark Days - Week 8

I feel like this past week of meals has involved above-average leftovers consumption.  There was no reason for me to make a 9x13 baking dish full of lasagna for my husband and myself.  It was just too much!  I like making big meals and then having leftovers, but it works better when it's something like a soup, stew or chili that you can freeze.  Don't get me wrong - I did freeze a couple servings of the lasagna, but it probably won't keep as long as a soup would.  And we aren't in a position to be owning a second freezer yet, so freezer space is limited.  Add to that the fact that we're still trying to finish the ham from week 6, it becomes clear that we are STILL eating local meals. 

There was one new meal of note.  After I made pasta last week, the hubby got super jealous and wanted to make pasta too.  Except he went out and bought a pasta maker, since he will use any excuse to go shopping for kitchen gadgets.  (p.s. - having a husband that loves to cook and does it well is super awesome.  although... I was spoiled by a father of the same ilk).


Dave made us some simple ravioli using local flour & eggs for the pasta and a stuffing of local italian sweet sausage and cheese.  They were so tasty that we ate most of them with a little salt and pepper and no sauce!  (that's how they kinda count as the local meal....)



In the end they were served as part of a larger less-local meal of roasted cornish game hen (organic but not local) and asparagus (WAY not local or seasonal, but this was Dave's meal, and he wanted asparagus).


p.s. There was way too much food on this plate.  I could not eat it all. 
Funny note as well: Dave told me proudly that this was a "vegetable-heavy" meal.  Am I crazy or is he?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the compliment. Dave looks like he did a great job. Hardly vegetable heavy though.

    1-4-3

    ReplyDelete