Monday, March 8, 2010

Dark Days - Week 16

CABBAGE!!! I have had a monster head of cabbage just hanging out in the fridge for weeks now, and I was hoping to do something with it this weekend.  So here are two cabbage dishes I made yesterday to feed us cabbage for weeks to come (some went in the freezer).

1. Another spin on the rustic cabbage soup I made back in January (can you believe it was that long ago?):
This time I stuck with green cabbage only and switched the other veggies up a bit.  Started with 2 carrots and 3 rutabagas diced (in place of the potatoes) - threw those into the dutch oven with olive oil to brown for 5-10 minutes.  Added 1 diced onion and 1 tsp smooshed garlic.  2 minutes later, added the dice cabbage, gave it a quick stir and then poured in 4 cups beef stock and 1 cup water.  Let that simmer with the lid on while I sauteed the innards of 2 sweet italian sausages in a separate skillet, then added the sausage and one can of cannellini beans (only non-local ingredient - still can't find any local beans!!!) to the soup.  Seasoned with salt and pepper and it was all good!

2. Tried another recipe passed on to us shareholders at Mill Valley for Braised Red Cabbage with Apple and Mustard:
Obviously, I used green cabbage.  I think this will make a very nice side for meals throughout the week.  Rather tart for my husband's taste, but I like it.... especially the mustard.  The soup is really more for his consumption - I put the sausage in there just for him!

That concludes this cabbage smorgasbord! 

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about cabbage! I buy it and it sits in the fridge and finally I do something about it. Maybe it is about that "smell" when it is cooking...

    ReplyDelete